Pages

Sunday, August 22, 2010

Growing Medium Test (Soil-less, Rockwool, Dirt): Gourmet Lettuce Blend

Gourmet Lettuce Blend Growing Medium Test

Today I planted Burpee Organic Gourmet Blend Lettuce (Grand Rapids, Salad Bowl, Red Salad Bowl, Oakleaf and Prizeleaf Lettuces) in three different types of growing mediums (Rockwool, perlite & hydroton rock and soil. I will keep you posted on the growth & germination rates.

Rockwool
Soaked Rockwool in 5.6ph water for an hour+. Then added ubiogrow/water mixture & sprayed the rockwool.
Soil-less: Perlite & Hydroton Rock Mix
This is a wick/drip soil-less system. I will add the drip system in a couple weeks, until then, it will be hand watered.

Moisture Control Potting Soil


Other Dirt Starters
Doing well. Asian Cucumbers, Lots of tomatoes, sweet peppers, onions, broccoli and more.

3 comments:

  1. Awesome!!
    I am planning a field trip for our homeschool group to visit a hydroponic farm near us.
    Peace and Raw Health,
    E

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love to see a head-to-head of the different mediums. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never tried planting lettuce. I wish I could have some guidelines in planting lettuce. Is there somebody who could help me?

    ReplyDelete